Sunday, October 24, 2010

Quick update

Early Saturday morning the surgeons came in to tell me that Kyle's line grew fungi. It was like a kick in the teeth, fungi is one of those bugs that you really don't want, it's very hard to clear from lines and it can make kids incredibly sick. We started anti fungal meds immediately and we moved on with our day. I won't get in to the specifics of how I found out that we are now pulling Kyle's line this morning or my thoughts on that because we'd be here all day and I don't have much time. When they pull the line they will place two normal IV's and then we start to hope and pray he doesn't blow those (which we know he will) before tomorrow am... He blows those lines so quickly. I told the dr last night I'm not torturing him all day today so we need a better plan then re-sticking him 100 times....he's a terrible stick, he's had so many IV's, lines, and blood draws that there isn't much left. As for surgery on Tuesday we have been told to not be very hopeful about that...which I'm trying so hard not to focus on today. I can't change any of this I just need to get us thru it.

Will update later tonight.
XO
Kate

8 comments:

Amy said...

oh, kate. I am so sorry that Kyle is going through this. Praying for him and sending you strength.

Mel said...

Continuing to send love and prayers of strength to you both...you are amazing, that has a lot to do with why your son is amazing! Love you both! Mel

Karen Owens said...

So sorry! Gavin would get fungus about every two months or so, and his line would always have to go. I always insisted they place a short line PICC while he was still in the OR. I know every kid is so diffrent but it worked for us.

I know it's so hard to watch our kids suffer.

Hang in there.

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry that Kyle has a line infection. that's definitely not a good thing and that it will be difficult to get a few temporary lines in for the little guy. I hope that he gets better quickly so he can try and get his belly fixed :(

Christine Gould said...

What about a Midline? I know they are not popular, but maybe it would work??

MJ said...

I am praying for your sweet boy and for all of you.

Michelle and Sean said...

Keeping Kyle in my prayers!!

Heidi said...

Thinking about Kyle tonight, hugs and prayers always-
Heidi & Jack.